The 9 goals scored against Hospitalet signified yet another record for Guardiola’s Barça team, as they ended the year as the team from the Primera Division who have scored the most goals ever in a year.
With the win on Thursday, Barça, in the last game of 2011, overtook Real Madrid, who have scored 167 goals.
Barça finished the year 2011 in style. The thrashing of Hospitalet, 9-0, signified yet another record for Guardiola's team, who appear to have no limit. On Thursday, goals from Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, Thiago, Tello, and Cuenca, the latter three with 2 goals each, ended a year with 170 goals scored. It's an historical figure since until then a team from the Spanish League had never scored as many goals in the various official competitions, in the same calendar year. Before the Cup game it was Madrid who had scored most goals, a total of 167, exceeding the 154 goals that Barça had scored in 2010, but Barca still had the last word before the year ended, and with the 9 goals against Hospitalet, went ahead of Madrid.
This is the biggest win since Guardiola took over the first team squad, beating the 8-0 thrashing of Almeria last season. To find the last Barça 9-0 win we have to go back to the 1978/79 season when they swept Rayo Vallecano aside.
Following are more details from the Spanish Cup match against Hospitalet:
- Cristian Tello, with 2, scored his first goals for the first team, which means that 18 different Barça players have scored this season.
- With 56,480 spectators, this was the biggest crowd in a return leg of the last 32 of the Spanish Cup in the Guardiola era.
- In the League and the Spanish Cup, Barça haven't conceded a single goal at home this season. Madrid, in the Spanish Super Cup, and AC Milan in the Champions League, are the only teams that have managed to score at the Camp Nou.
- A total of 13 players who came up through the Masia took part in the game against Hospitalet: They were Puyol, Fontàs, Pique, Busquets, Thiago, Xavi, Dos Santos, Tello, Iniesta, Cesc, Sergi Roberto, Cuenca, and Pedro.
- In Guardiola's starting 11, Pinto was the only Barça player not to come through the youth ranks. (via FCBarcelona.cat)